Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Together they are Harder to Break, Separated they are Easily Snapped

Since I came back home some three weeks ago, I noticed that the post election turmoil is still hovering around the media. I suppose, the peak was the drastic move made by our ex-PM on Monday, had shaken the Malay community in Malaysia. As an ordinary Malaysian, I really do hope that the big guys know what they are doing. It is the future of our youngsters at stake here. Not just merely as any political tug of war.

When times like this, my grandfather’s face flashed in my mind. I still remember his last words to me, before he was admitted to the general hospital and later was brought home, dead at the age of seventy nine due to pneumonia. I was about thirteen years of age at that time. He said in his special language, “No matter what happens, be like this fist and stick together as a family; we can stand strong against any problem,” showing me his right fist. He was a deaf man, but he was very smart, strong and articulate. As the eldest grandchild, I had the privilege to learn how to communicate with the deaf.

Bottom line, no matter how different are our beliefs, principles and so forth, just be objective and stay in focus to really carry out the entrusted obligations. Not to just fulfil the personal agenda. We should learn from the past where most of the lost cities and vanished civilisations on the globe were destroyed due to the greed beyond imagination, although they had the most evolved, advanced and sophisticated technologies at their point of time. Point here is, the ‘punishment’ was to everyone, not just to the selfish.

Hope that Malaysia will NOT be a place where the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer in future. (Trust me, it’s not a pleasant sight…I’ve seen it all, in other countries.) There should be an even distribution of wealth throughout the nation and everyone will prosper. Prioritising is essential at this point of time, where recession and the food crisis are in sight.

From my observation, I noticed that we were taught by the older generation, the baby boomer’s generation, to work hard to acquire wealth in terms of material. Then, we instil that value into our children and indirectly, we are spoiling the new generation with materialism. Branded and expensive items are their first preference, although they know that the family cannot afford it. With the ‘love’ ticket, we, the older generation tend to borrow, beg or even steal to fulfil this spoilt brad’s request. (That’s why more adults are being blacklisted due to the credit cards’ NPLs!)

Young generation should be taught the importance of embracing values like respect, trustworthy, responsibility, diligent, humble, et cetera. Materialism should be abolished from their mindset. This is because they will be the new leaders to steer this country.

No comments: