Saturday, April 26, 2008

Eat Coconut while you have Teeth

Yesterday was one of my weekly routine ~ my hair day. While blowing my wet hair to dry, something caught my eyes. Then, I recognised it. Oh my goodness!! My first white hair!!!!!! Gosh…I am only 37 going on 38! This can’t be happening so soon! I am an old woman already? (:0) Time flies so fast that we sometimes miss out things going on in our lives, even having white hair (or is it grey hair?). For all that we know it is already there.

Well, who am I kidding? Everyone goes through this process. My hubby, who is only three years my senior, has half of his head shining with white hair. It’s time for me to join the club, I guess. (He enjoyed making fun of me once I told him about it!)

I often thought that being old means looking old and feeling tired. That may not be true. Around here in Jakarta, I see and learn that grandmothers in their late 40s or even 50s are still working as maids or even pulling carts selling food along the roadside. They even look younger and energetic. After a few interviews, I found out that they religiously take ‘jamu’, a bitter mixture of natural ingredients of herbs, since they reached puberty. Another abstention is the ice cubes or even ice water. (Huaaaaa….how can I cut on that??!!!!)

One person that I must highlight here is my mother. She will be 60 this May and she is still looking good and energetic; driving around doing errands or visiting her friends and relatives; and she goes on tours. (For Malay folks, it’s like “What?!!!”) We are both often referred to as sisters, instead of mother and daughter. (Hmmm….Wonder if that downgrades me or upgrades her….;P)

Anyway, I am grateful that I have been blessed with a mother and a grandmother who are so particular and strict about pre and post natal treatment. I remember the hard times I had to go through after giving birth to both my children. Sulking was what I did most of both my 44 confinement days. I had to go through a high carbs, heaty and dry diet. (I suppose that contributed to my additional inches!)

Three times of ‘bertungku’ and ‘berbengkung’ is a daily ritual. ‘Bertungku’ is a treatment of hot river stone wrapped with selected spices and herbs, tied together into a pouch using cotton cloth. The hot pouch is then used as a pressure massage to loosen tense muscles, alleviate pain, and break excess fat and cellulite. It also helps improve the blood circulation and the functioning of uterus, resulting to recharged energy and desire. ‘Berbengkung’ is a tummy wrap made of several metres of cotton cloth. The bengkung is used to wrap the body so as to push up the uterus, clear water retention, wind, spasm, shrinks the tummy and helps to reduce weight.

A pair of socks is like my second skin. It has to be worn 24/7, except to the toilet. And, top of the notch, I am not to get out of my room for 44 days! I was like the princess stuck in a tower. Reason being: to avoid any non-stop bleeding or blood spillage if I accidentally hit anything while walking recklessly around. (Don’t ask me where this came from….I don’t have the answer.)

Nevertheless, now, Walla! After ten years since I last gone through my dreaded after birth confinement period, apart of the stretch marks and my first white hair, I still look good and feel good! As much as I hated the treatment, I guess, it pays off. So, girls, listen to your mum! ;)

About me aging, I hope to enjoy my life to the fullest by growing old gracefully, of course, with my hubby by my side.

2 comments:

Cmate said...

Hey,

I have white hair like all the time since I was born. It's a handful all over my head but still, it's white. I call them the wisdom hair.

Great that you have wisdom hair. You must be a wise woman.

zafiraliza said...

Cmate,

Really? Hmmm....In that case, I'll just celebrate it..Guess, it takes one to know one...he..he..