Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Every End has a New Beginning


A few days ago, I received news that one of my friend’s father had passed away in a road accident. I know it must have been difficult for her and she is struggling hard this moment.

Kak Ina, be strong! Banyakkan berdoa…Semoga Allah mencucuri Rahmat ke atas rohnya…

I know how she feels right now. I had my share of grieving moments ten years back. I lost my Dad to a sudden heart attack when I was two weeks away from delivering my youngest child. Imagine that! It was really bad. What makes it worse was that I was supposed to spend the day with him that day, but instead, I decided to postpone the visit later that afternoon. As if my guilt was not enough, I was told that he had talked to all of my family members, except me, earlier that fateful day. It was as though he knew his time was up. My mum told me that he complained that the line could not get through when he tried calling me several times. I guess, I had practically cried myself to labour! I even had illusions that my Dad had kissed my forehead while I was sleeping after the delivery.

I remember reading somewhere, a Chinese proverb said “We cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over our heads, but we can refuse to let them build nests in our hair”. That was when I decided to turn the table around and look at it from a different perspective. I started to count my blessings. I was lucky to have my husband and my eldest child, who was only four at that time. My hubby became my pillar of support and to my surprise, my four year old was acting mature enough to be my soothing charm.

Anyway, the important lesson of life when we loose someone dear to us is that for every lost, there will be a replacement. It may be in so many ways…All we have to do is to start looking and analysing, to realise what or who it is. It sounds weird and funny at the same time, right? Well, look around us. Everything has a cycle. Eventually it makes a lot of sense. Death is the great leveller. In my case, God had given our family with the gift of a newborn life, as the antidote to our sorrow. I began to understand that everything that happens in life has a continuous story or reason to it. As much as we hate to loose, may it be someone or something, we have to accept the fact that every adversity carries with it the seed of equal or greater benefit. It’s just life. And with each difficulty that we have to go through, it will make each of us a better person.

No comments: