Tuesday, April 29, 2008

If you Have, Give; if you Lack, Seek

So, this will be my last post from Indonesia. Tomorrow (Wednesday the 30th of April) we fly out of Jakarta, touch down in Kuala Lumpur after 2 hours’ flight and then wait for my hubby’s next assignment. I am looking forward to spending some time with our family, especially my mum and parents-in-law. At the same time, I am sad to be leaving friends here and the serenity of this neighbourhood. You'll know what I mean from the pictures.



Here’s a peek of our last two weeks in Indonesia. First, as I promised, the trips to Bandung and Bogor. We had great time shopping in Bandung. It’s where most of the factory outlets are located.
We also had fun in Bogor, especially the Safari. We were very nervous when we were in the dangerous zone - the lions and the tigers’ habitat. Luckily it was past lunch time. Anyone who had been to this Safari will surely agree that the Bird Show and the Wild, Wild West Show are a plus to the excursion. We had decided before we got here that we wanted to purchase some local handicrafts to take home with us. And just my luck (and my hubby’s nightmare!!! he..he..), the annual event of INACRAFT expo, was held in the Jakarta Convention Centre since the 23rd to 27th of April. It was like the whole Indonesian crafts were in one place. Story short, just put it this way....I had entered the hall empty handed and upon walking through the exit door, I had all my fingers hanging with bags. :D (You can’t blame a lady for having good taste!)
Know what’s my ‘weakness’? Whenever I go abroad, I will buy something for everyone at home. When I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE. My hubby calls it my ‘bad’ habit (and it’s already spreading to my children). But, I simply call it generosity. I was brought up with that in me. “Whenever you visit someone, never go empty handed. Even if someone visits you, never let them go empty handed too. No matter how small or how cheap, it does not matter. It’s the thought that counts,” my religious teacher or Ustazah, would teach us in class.

I read somewhere; there was an Afghan saying that goes, “Give even an onion, graciously.” I fully agree with it. Why? During my youngster days, I remember very well that whenever I visited the elderly, they would pack something for me to take home. Cakes, fruits or the least, the day’s home cooked dish. That’s how the traditions of close knitted community affected a girl into the lady I am now. I suppose, it is a delicate methodology to spread love.

The above stated Malay saying had proven that this practice is essential in the community. When we were at the pit bottom of our life, the unemployment episode, everyone we know had unconditionally extended their helping hand to pull us through. So, I guess, souvenir from abroad is nothing compared to that, right?

So, here we are, with an additional huge bag to bring home (I am beginning to worry about the excess baggage charges tomorrow!), all packed up, ready to head home and be like the ‘Santa Clause’ next week! :D

2 comments:

Salt N Turmeric said...

ur a lucky woman! i can only drool looking at those stuff. and i miss the batik. well, i miss having new baju kurung/kebaya!

zafiraliza said...

Farina,

Yes! I know that! Kalau you pergi, memang tak cukup mata nak tengok and tak cukup tangan nak bawa balik barang-barang tu! Ha..ha... Just drop me your address in my inbox...See how I can surprise you...!!!